Monday, February 28, 2011

A Little Bit of Chocolate Never Hurt Anybody...



Don't get excited, I didn't get a new puppy to raise, yet. This is a rental. As part of the training for raising guide dog puppies, raiser will trade dogs around to get them used to being in different homes. Also provides the benefits that not all homes are the same and so there are learning experiences beneficial to the puppy.

If you know me, you know I LOVE chocolate. Honestly, chocolate labs are not my favorite. I prefer my blacks and my reddish-yellows. However, he is a sweet dog (pun intended) and he is very dark in color for being a chocolate (again, pun intended). He is one of two chocolates active in Guide Dogs raising program, a complete fluke brought to you by my Forte, my 6th pup. I say Forte has every color of the lab rainbow in him as he has produced black labs, chocolate, and yellows of varying shade. Some dogs may produce more black or maybe lighter yellows, Forte has a good variety. Okay, it all depends on genetics and I can explain it to you, but it's rather boring.

2 comments:

Lisa and pups said...

Who is the chocolate?! Guess Forte does have a rainbow! :)

Unknown said...

The chocolate is Snickers, back in May, there were two fluke chocolates born in the litter of 5 other black puppies. Very unusually for Guide Dog lines that are black and yellow only. Turns out Forte and the mom Arizona carry the recessive gene and it was brought out by the two being bred.