Since I have started in my Graphic Design program, and more recently as of late, I have developed an obsession with paper*. This has nothing to do with scrap booking and isn't an unhealthy fetish of wanting to drape my body in vellum. As I progress through my classes, the standard and expectations of quality and skill go up (naturally). Regular drawing paper just doesn't cut it any more for my projects unless it is used for sketches. There is more to graphic designing than just learning how to use Adobe's Creative Suite, we're talking real design here. Paying attention to the paper you select really can affect your project as I am learning. There is more than just weight and color to select from. Texture, hot or cold press, cost, function, etc. are other factors to consider. Do an internet search on the terms if you are curious. To give an example, if making business cards, printing them on 20lbs office style paper wouldn't be appropriate. This is likely the stuff you use in your regular printer, pretty cheap.

Quality paper was once described to me as having a certain sight, sound, smell, feel, and taste. I'm not that obsessed; but a certain sight and feel I will agree with.

I now have two pieces of papyrus...I'm not sure what I am going to do with them yet, but still it was interesting paper.
*Unfortunately, paper is not the only obsession I have developed since getting an education on good design. Don't even get me started on typography. Perhaps there is something more to a possible link between creativity and mental illness...
1 comment:
You will never look at printed material the same again. I hate it when someone prints something on especially cheap paper. My obsession is currently more on yarn. I'm kind of a yarn snob. I can't bring myself to do anything with basic acrylic yarn that most people know.
Post a Comment